Travel Throwback #1: London

Thursday 15 May 2014
After recently moving house I uncovered a box of my old photographs from my junior high and early high school years, undoubtably taken on a hundred or so Kodak disposable cameras. Included amongst the photographs of friends, Disneyland and parties was a series from my trip to London in the autumn of 2004.

Throwback Thursday Travel Edition London, England 2004

This particular trip was special for three reasons:

  1. It was to celebrate my sweet sixteen
  2. It was my first trip to England. 
  3. It cemented me as an anglophile forever. 

Here are some of the gems I found starting with a jet-lagged sixteen-year-old me at our hotel, The Rubens At The Palace...

The Rubens At The Palace in London, England
The Rubens At The Palace in London, England

Funny story, we originally were in just a normal room but the toliet decided to turn into a fountain and we were promptly upgraded to the beautiful Clarence Suite.

Buckingham Palace in London, England
St. James' Park with view of Big Ben in London, England

I love the Autumnal colours in this photograph of St. James' Park. If you look closely you can see Big Ben in the background.

Big Ben and the London Eye (Millennium Wheel) in London, England
Tower Guard at Tower of London in London, England
Tower of London in London, England
Ravens of the Tower of London in London, England
"If the Tower of London ravens are lost or fly away, the Crown will fall and Britain with it."
Houses of Parliament and Big Ben in London, England
Big Ben in London, EnglandHarry Potter's Platform 9 and 3/4 at King's Cross Station in London, England

For a Harry Potter fan, no trip to London would be complete without a trip to Platform 9 and 3/4 at King's Cross station!

And finally... one of the most cliché tourist photographs in all the world - posing with a red telephone box. I'd like the think the double decker bus in the background makes it slightly different. Does any tourist visiting London not have a photograph with a red telephone box? I think not!

Red Telephone Box and Double Decker Bus in London, England

Q: Have you ever travelled somewhere that made a big impact on your life?

Erin x

8 comments:

  1. Unknown said...:

    Gotta love those travel throwbacks! I love the pictures! They're totally vintage and if there was a filter to make all my pictures look like this, I would certainly apply it all the time ;) Also how come that you had such a nice fashion sense as a sixteen year old? I always looked like a drag queen with too much make up and purple clothes :D

  1. I love how ageless London's iconic sights are, and how so many of us have pictures of these places taken from the exact same spot! Love your 9 and 3/4 photo; it's one place I didn't have enough time to see when I was there in February!

  1. I'll have to share some more photos back then, I think I have some from even earlier.. totally 90s and all that. Hehe

    I actually still have that trench coat! I wear it from time to time. Trench coats never go out of style darling!

    Erin x

  1. Thanks Katrina! I've not been since the remodelled station opened up, but I think another visit is in order when I don't look about 12! You'll just have to come back to London and visit it!

  1. bevchen said...:

    Just came across your blog via Unlocking Kiki.
    I'm not the greatest fan of London, but you took some great photos of it. And red phone boxes are fabulous! It makes me sad that most of them have been replaced now.

  1. Unknown said...:

    Ahhhh london! One of the best cities in the world. I can't believe your toilet turned into a fountain!! Haha. Also, the red telephone box is a MUST ;)

  1. Courtney said...:

    I miss the days of Kodak disposable cameras!! I also love looking through photos of my old trips and reminiscing about how much they impacted me. It's the best way to relive those memories!

  1. Glad to have you on the blog Bevchen, Sammy and Courtney! I do love London although I know a lot of English people aren't massive fans of London.

    And reminiscing about past trips is the best thing ever!!

    Erin x

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog! I love receiving them, good and bad, so please don't be shy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...