6 Things I Love About England

Thursday 10 April 2014
As I was looking through my archive of previous posts I came across last year's post for the Fourth of July about the five things I miss about America. It made me think that I should really do a list of things I love about England. As an expat you will always love your home country, but usually you find reasons to love your new home just as much. Here are the six things that sprang to mind when thinking about what I love about England.

6. Royal Family. Say what you want, I love the royal family and think they do a great deal of good for this country. I just love the Queen, she is the ultimate legend. But it's not just the Queen, I love them all,  even Prince Charles! I mean Prince Charles reported the weather for the BBC, how cool is that?!


5. Elderflower Cordial. It might not be to everyone's taste, but for me, nothing is better than elderflower cordial in sparkling water. Cordials are basically flavoured syrups, which are quite popular here in the England. Elderflower is the flower of the elderberry, quite delicious and something I had never experienced in America.

Homemade Elderflower Cordial
Source

Afternoon Tea
Enjoying Afternoon Tea in Stratford-upon-Avon
4. Tea. I have never been a coffee girl and it is so nice to be in a country that appreciates/loves tea as much as I do. Whether it's just having a cuppa in the evening or going all out with an afternoon tea, England certainly does right by tea. Even the largest of problems can be solved with a cup of tea. Boyfriend dumped you? Family member died? The first thing any English person will do is dash off to the kettle and fix you a brew!

3. History. In Las Vegas a building from the 1950s is considered old and anything before that, practically pre-historic but it's a whole different kettle of fish over here. In fact they have so much history it's practically bursting at the seems. Take the 2,000 year old Roman mosaic in Spoonley Wood for example. There are no maps to it and the only thing protecting it is a bit of tarpaulin! Every where you go, even the smallest of villages, there are buildings and and stories of some significance. If you love history, England is definitely the place to be!


Roman Mosiac in Spoonley Wood
Roman Mosiac in Spoonley Wood

2. The Beatles. The Rolling Stones. Pink Floyd. Led Zeppelin. My top four favourite bands of all time are from England. I take it as a sign that I was destined to live here, and also perhaps in the 60s or 70s. These men are all rock gods!


The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin
Pinterest

1. English Literature. This small island has given the world some of the greatest masterpieces and authors. You have my personal favourites Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass or J.K.Rowling's Harry Potter series, but don't forget J.M. Barrie's Peter Pan, C.S.S. Lewis' The Chronicles of Narnia, J. R. R. Tolkien's The Lord of the Rings, Jane Austen, Charles Dickens, the Brontë sisters. Do I really need to go on?

Map of English Literature
Pinterest

Q: What do you love most about England?

Erin x

7 comments:

  1. Unknown said...:

    I looove elderflower cordial too! The pomegranate and elderflower by bottlepress. I love the history as well, and visiting old country houses and learning about the families that lived there.

  1. Sara Louise said...:

    I don't even live in England and I love everything on your list... and number 7, Pimms! :)

  1. Danielle - Oh yes the pomegranate and elderflower is lovely! It tastes just like summer!

    Sara - Oh yes, Pimms and Lemonade on a hot summer day! Perfect. I've thought about more things to add to my list just since yesterday!

  1. Unknown said...:

    Love this post! I'm from Australia and am living in England and have always wanted to do a post like this! Have you been to Liverpool? If you're a Beatles fan I would definitely recommend it!

  1. Well Katherine, then you SHOULD do a post like this! I've been to Liverpool only once, went to The Beatles museum and drove around to Strawberry Fields, Penny Lane, etc. I loved it!

  1. Scott said...:

    Love this blog and I usually don't like much but it's gentle and genuine. More please. Any plans for a book Erin?

    Have to say though can't stand England or the English and I am one.

  1. Thanks for your comment Scott, I'm glad you like the blog it means a lot. I have dreams of writing a book, starting with the memoirs of my life in France but am only in the preliminary stages.

    You should be proud to be English, as Take That said "never forget where you're coming from". Then again.. Take That are pretty cringe.

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment on my blog! I love receiving them, good and bad, so please don't be shy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...